Sunday, May 18, 2014

Sounds of Starlight. Saturday May 17th, 2014

The weather on Saturday May 17th, 2014 was warm but cloudy. This was prefect for a nice day of just hanging out by the pool catching up on some work and reading.

After being in Australia for almost a month I have heard many Australians talk about First Australians or Aboriginals a lot. Most people I have talked to did not have anything nice to say about them. They called them uneducated, dumb, lazy, and useless.  But after after spending 3 days in the Outback and learning about they're way of life I tend to disagree with what most of those people say. I've learned that they just have a different way of life compared to ours and just because it is different doesn't mean that it is wrong.

I think the most difficult  part of life in Central Australia would be the amount of flys that they have in the summer. Being here in the down season, fall and winter, when it isn't that bad makes me wonder how people do it in the summer when it's really bad. I also don't think I could get used to how unfriendly and private everyone not in the tourist industry are.

The Sounds of Starlight show we went to see that night was absolutely amazing. I loved the way he took the traditional instrument of the didgeridoo and made it more contemporary. I also like how he pulled people on stage and got them involved in the show. It was great seeing Maegan and Justin up there playing the didgeridoo. Then I even got to go up there with Maegan, Abbey, and Mark and play on the bongo. It was great fun. The lights during the show were also amazing as well as the power points, they were both a nice touch.

I noticed in Alice Springs that they put interesting things on their burgers. At first I thought it was just the restaurant that we went to, but then after the second and third restaurants did that same thing I realized that it must have been Alice Springs. They have the normal cheese, tomato, and lettuces, but they also put ham, egg, pineapple, and beet root. Very interesting.

A new Australian word I learned today was "big smoke". It means city. I heard it when we were walking around the Todd Mall.

No comments:

Post a Comment