Sunday, May 11, 2014

May 11, 2014 - Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day here is Australia, also know as "Mum's Day".  Our journey took us from Cairns to the outback city of Alice Springs. While leaving the beautiful city of Cairns there was on and off rainfall. We arrived at the airport to take off around 9:30am.  After the short two hour plane ride we made it to our destination, Alice Springs.
My first impression was that it was very unique compared to the other cities we've been to. For example, I noticed in particular that there were dirt roads around the city.  This was not something I have seen yet thus far. I was surprised to see a lot of green grass and bushes here in the desert. Along with this, there was not a lot of buildings and I noticed the skyline was very low.
As we were driving to Toddys Backpackers I saw a lot of solar panels which reminded me how environmently cautious Australians are.  When Dr. Jacobson gave us a tour to the local mall I spotted many fences surrounding buildings, houses, parking lots and so on.  It was explained to us that these fences provide a sense of direction. They show you were you do and don't belong. To mind your own business is a key part to the community here in Alice Springs.
The atmosphere is much different than that of Sydney, Canberra, Brisbane, or Cairns. Unlike these very active cities, that seem to never sleep, Alice Springs is much more quiet and reserved. Along with this it's the most humid spot we've been to.
I learned the word "dag", this means a person who is very funny and a goof. I heard this in the  bar area as I was playing pool after dinner. A young man called his friend this.
Alice Springs is a very interesting place and I'm excited to learn more about the area. Also, Uluru, formally known as Ayers Rock, is something I've been looking forward to seeing from the start and cant wait to get there and see its beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment