Saturday, April 26, 2014

Anzac Day- Sydney Aquarium/ Taronga Zoo

Today started off to be a very gloomy day. In the morning it was pouring rain and very windy. We had to get all geared up for the rain and walk to the Sydney Aquarium. This aquarium was filled with many different sea life and animals that I had never seen or heard of before. My personal favorite was the moon jellyfish. Their species is over populated in the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian Ocean. However, they are harmless to humans because they are too weak to sting us. Another marine animal that I found interesting at the aquarium was the Japanese spider crab. I never imagined that crabs could be this big! They are actually nicknamed "crabzilla" because they are so big.

After leaving the aquarium, the group headed over to catch a ferry to the Taronga Zoo. I noticed that these ferries are used almost in equivalent to a train or a bus in Sydney. Passengers on the ferries get off at many different stops to see many different attractions. I also noticed that there was a lot of traffic on the harbor. Many people seem to take boats and ferries through the harbor instead of traveling around it. The third thing I noticed about the ferries were that that had many advertisements posted on it, including signs telling the passengers to leave reviews on how the service on the ferry was.

Once we arrived at the zoo, there were many Australian animals that were very unique and unusual. The most unusual animal in my opinion was the jumping mice. They ran extremely fast and jumped very far for a tiny little mouse. I noticed that they had the same leg structures as a kangaroo allowing them to jump like that. I also thought it was unusual because I have never seen mice in a zoo before. Luckily, by the time we were leaving the zoo, the rain had cleared up and the sun was shining beautifully.

Today in Sydney I noticed that in the harbor had many boats docked in the middle of the water. I didn't know how the passengers got out to their boat until I learned that they ride boats called dingies out to their boat. Also, the Australian word that i learned today was "skippy" which is another word for a kangaroo. I heard a group of Australian boys talking about this at breakfast.

I really enjoyed the aquarium and the zoo today. Despite the horrible weather the group made the best out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment